Sunday, February 17, 2008

If I had...the ultimate computer

Imagine, 16 Gigs of RAM, Quad-core, 4 x 1 Terabyte drives, 768 MB SLI Video Cards, 2 x 24 Inch flat panels, with this hardware, what would you have? My current dream workstation. I have been wanting to buy a new computer/laptop/workstation for the past year, money right now is a little tight so its out of the question, but I still like to spec out what is out there now.

I am looking to replace all the crape PCs I currently have with one monstrous machine. The way I think about it is if I had this workstation with enough power to virtualize all my other desktops I would be in business.

Now, is this practical...I have right now 6 desktops each one below 1 Ghz, I have one laptop at 1.6 Ghz all are rather old and slow, but I did not spend anything for them except the laptop. Now if I spend $2,000 - $4,000, I could replace them all and still have expandability.

I love virtualization and with that kind of machine I could have as many as I needed and wanted and still be able to do some serious computing.

I am going to have to break out the old calculator and see if it is financially in my best interest.

Any thoughts would be huge.

No comments: